Circa 1240 / 1260
Museum of Sacred Art, Municipality of Montespertoli
This very refined dish was used in ancient times for washing hands, not necessarily for religious purposes but more likely for domestic use. The Gémellion was generally made up of two matching pieces, twins in fact, from which came the characteristic name. One was used to pour water and the other was held below to collect it. In this extraordinary example, which is one of the great attractions of the museum, there is also evidence of trade between Italy and France in the Middle Ages, as the coat of arms painted on its surface have been identified as the arms of the houses of Bar, French-Castille and Dreux , Brittany. Heraldic symbols are interspersed with stylized female figures and a lateral lions's head.